The Publications & Communications Board of the Society for the Advancement of Psychotherapy (SAP) is seeking nominations (including self-nominations) for the position of Internet Editor. Candidates should be available to assume the title of Incoming Editor January 1, 2023, for a three-year term. Starting approximately July 2022 the incoming Editor will begin shadowing and coordinating with the out-going Internet Editor to prepare to assume the role.
In digital form, the Internet Editor for the Society for the Advancement of Psychotherapy is dedicated to advancing the science, practice, and study of psychotherapy. The Internet Editor oversees the strategic implementation of website, social media, and other digital outreach. The Internet editor is responsible for sending out timely announcements via our two listservs, monitoring the listservs, and posting timely and important Division news announcements on the website. The Internet Editor works with the Bulletin Editor and Psychotherapy Editor as noted below.
- Be a member or fellow of the APA Division 29/SAP
- An earned Masters-level or doctoral-level degree in psychology
- Support the mission of the SAP
Please see below for a detailed description of the Internet Editor’s responsibilities. As an ex officio member of the Publications & Communications Board, the Editor attends the scheduled meetings and conference calls of the Society’s Publications Board. The Internet Editor supervises and receives assistance and support from the Associate Editor for Website Content and the Social Media Coordinator. The honorarium is $5,000 per year.
The Internet Editor reports to the Society’s Board of Directors through the Publication Board.
The search committee is comprised of the voting members of the SAP Publications & Communications Board.
To be considered for the position, please send a letter of interest, a copy of your curriculum vitae with a brief description of relevant experience and skills, and a brief statement of your vision for the Society’s website and online presence. Materials should be submitted to both Terence Tracey, Ph.D., Publications and Communications Board Chair, Terence.Tracey@asu.edu, and Kourtney Schroeder, Psy.D., Internet Editor, firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is May 1, 2022.
Internet Editor Duties
MINIMUM Desired WEBSITE-RELATED Skills and Knowledge
Website Content Management System
- Familiarity with WordPress and Kinsta
Website and Social Analytics
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
- Familiarity with Facebook Insights
- Familiarity with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) concepts; familiarity with Yoast
- Report directly to the Chair of the Publications Board of the Society for the Advancement of Psychotherapy
- Create a mid-year and year-end report of the activities of the Internet Editors
- Propose annual budget to the Publications Board
- Monitor and manage the website’s annual budget
Participation in Society Governance
- Participate in Publication Board meetings
- Participate, as needed, in Board of Directors meetings
Digital Content Strategy
- Develop and oversee the implementation of strategy emphasizing publication of top-quality, engaging web-only content (approximately 26 pieces per year)
- Develop and oversee the implementation of editorial procedures to support reader engagement
- Develop and oversee the implementation of strategy to build relationships with potential contributors for original featured content
- Develop and oversee the implementation of strategy to incentivize submission of original content from Society members
Promote Printed Society Publications
- Develop active partnership with the Psychotherapy editor to promote recent volumes, special issues, notable articles, and trending topics
- Develop active partnership with the Psychotherapy Bulletin editor to promote recent volumes and publish relevant articles on the Society website
Social Media Strategy
- Develop and oversee the implementation of strategy for communication with members and prospective members via social media (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIN)
Assist with Growing the Society
- Support increase of Society membership
- Support increased consumption of Society publications.
- Aim to increase involvement of graduate students and ECPs
- Selection of personnel for support positions (e.g., Associate and Assistant Editors)
- Management and oversight of support positions and coordination of their responsibilities and work
- Liaise and connect with technical support assistance from web developer on weekly or biweekly basis
Technical and User Experience
Monitor and Assess User Experience Effectiveness
- Perform monthly reviews of website and social media analytics data.
- Solicit and review proposals for on-going maintenance contract(s) and special digital/web projects, as needed
- Make recommendation of selected vendor(s) to the Publications & Communications Board
- Catalog and prioritize problems and difficulties (e.g., ‘bugs’) with the website
- Address technological problems
- Minor problems to be directly handled by Internet Editor
- Significant problems referred to web developer
Refine User Experience
- Make recommendations about Information Architecture and appropriate User Experience and Website Developer vendors to the Publications Board, as needed
- In conjunction with a website development firm oversee periodic refinement of the Information Architecture (IA) of the Society's website, including reviewing site flow diagrams and site wireframes to best promote the Society’s growing volumes of content.
- Select and guide development of appropriate web technology platform(s).
- Select technology/software system(s) for social media publication, engagement, and management.