The Society for the Advancement of Psychotherapy (SAP) is seeking candidates for Student Representative for a two-year term beginning January 1, 2019, and ending December 31, 2020.
The duties of the Student Representative include:
- Chairing and coordinating the activities of the Student Development Committee.
- Serving as an elected, voting member of the Society’s Board of Directors and attending two meetings of the Board of Directors annually(Society pays meeting and travel expenses in accordance with its reimbursement policies).
- Coordinating the student award process for the Society’s four student paper awards.
- Facilitating recruitment of students to write an article for each issue of the Society’s quarterly publication Psychotherapy Bulletin.
- Collaborating with APAGS to coordinate and promote Society and APA student initiatives.
The Society for the Advancement of Psychotherapy is committed to the exchange of ideas, policies, and resources for members pertaining to the practice, science, education, and theory of psychotherapy and has a commitment to diversity in all of its activities. The Student Development Committee provides a unique student voice in the Society, promoting the interests of students in programs and activities sponsored by the Society. The Student Representative has opportunities to form personal relationships with leading psychotherapists and leaders of the profession, to work collaboratively with them, to promote student initiatives within APA, and to become better acquainted with APA governance and the activities of professional organizations.
Nominees for Student Representative must be student members of SAP, but need not have prior experience working within the APA, nor do nominees need to be members of APA. Self-nominations are welcome. All nominations should include a cover letter, CV, photo, and a biographical statement limited to 200 words that will be published in the Psychotherapy Bulletin and included on the Society’s website prior to the election. All material MUST be submitted via email to the Society’s Central Office, [email protected], e-mail subject header to read: Student Representative Nomination. The final deadline for nominations is September 30, 2018. Student members vote in the election, which is held in November.
All members of the Society may nominate student candidates for this position; only student members of the Society will vote in the election for Student Representative.